Adsense Skyscrapper

GRA To Enforce Tax Policy In April


The Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) has announced that it would enforce the implementation of the tax policy in April 1, this year.

According to GRA, individuals without a Tax Identification Number (TIN) would not be able to transact business with the Passport Office, DVLA, Registrar General Department, among other offices.

At a Media Sensitization Workshop organized by SEND Ghana on Friday, Mr. Lawrence Hotsonyame, Principal Revenue Officer at GRA, called on all tax payers who do not have Tax Identification Numbers to get to the nearest GRA office to have them generated.

He disclosed that “The Commissioner General of Ghana Revenue Authority, is sending out a message that all tax payers and potential tax payers who don’t have their Tax Identification Numbers should get to the nearest GRA office and have them generated.”

The Taxpayer Identification Numbering System (TIN) under the TIN ACT is described as a unique Identification Number issued to taxpayers for official transactions with the under listed public institutions.

These are the Domestic Tax Revenue Division, the Customs Division the Controller and Accountant General’s Department of the Ghana Revenue Authority; the Registrar General’s Department; District Assemblies and any Public Institution which the Minister may by legislative Instrument prescribe.

According to Mr. Lawrence Hotsonyame, it has become very necessary in accordance with the provision of the Revenue Administration Act which requires all persons who do business in this country, tax payers and potential tax payers should have their TINs to be able to conduct official business in this country.”

He warned that it is illegal to acquire two TIN numbers and persons who do so will be dealt with according to the law.

“It is an offense for a person to be able to generate more than a TIN because the law says that every person should have one TIN, there is a specific section under the law says that you are providing the Commissioner General with false and misleading information if you have two TIN numbers.”

All persons liable to pay tax, or from whom taxes are withheld at source by employers or agents through payroll deductions and other business transactions under any enactment are required to register for a TIN

Forms can be obtained at no cost from all GRA offices across the country, and also on the GRA website.

By: Emmanuel Yeboah Britwum/


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: